Some interesting and positive ideas from Mark Holden on how songwriters, artists and rights holders can profit from filesharing.
Read the article by Mark Holden: Songwriters are not going to win the battle of the Internet
- People are going to share and download ‘free’ music.
- File sharing sites will profit from this via ads and incentives.
- Tax/levy the profits of the file sharing sites.
- Use fingerprinting technology to determine which artists/rights holders are being shared.
- Distribute income to the correct rights holders and artists.
This new and additional revenue model also gives rights holders and record companies more bargaining power when negotiating with Apple’s iTunes.
And lawyers would still have a job.